Executive Director – Imperial Theatre Inc. / Théâtre Impérial Inc.
Our Mission Statement:
We enrich, engage and inspire our community through the performing arts.
The Imperial Theatre is seeking a new Executive Director. This position fulfils the role of chief operating officer and senior full-time manager of the theatre and is responsible for carrying out its mission. As such, the Executive Director has a broad scope in the implementation of policy and programmes of the theatre and reports to the President and the Board of Directors. Marketing, operations, budgets, human resources, community relations, programming and strategic planning are core responsibilities of the Executive Director.
The Executive Director should have a passion for artistic endeavours and for promoting arts and culture to a diverse audience. The Executive Director serves as the public face of the organization, communicating to our diverse communities, audiences, performers, volunteers and stakeholders, while simultaneously building and fostering these relationships.
Imperial Theatre Inc. is an independent, incorporated, charitable organization whose mandate is:
- To enrich the community by providing a professional quality, multi-purpose facility;
- To engage audiences through world-class entertainment experiences;
- To encourage (inspire) the presentation of local productions and the development of the arts.
Imperial Theatre was formally opened on September 19, 1913, featuring some of Saint John’s finest talent of the day. After being re-purposed on two occasions, a local group decided in August 1982 that the building should again be home to the performing arts in Saint John. With the overwhelming support of the community, the theatre was reconstructed to its original 1913 grandeur and officially reopened on May 24, 1994.
Imperial Theatre is dedicated to managing its business based on the following core values:
- We value our building and as such are committed to preserving and promoting its history and beauty.
- We value our community and as such we endeavour to provide a quality entertainment experience to a wide-ranging audience.
- We value our people and as such we strive to create an atmosphere of collaboration, teamwork and excellence for our staff and stakeholders.
- We value the performing arts and as such we welcome and are supportive of our performers.
- To operate Imperial Theatre with full day-to-day responsibility for operations and staff;
- To oversee the maintenance of a 100+ year old National Historic Site of Canada;
- To submit regular reports on the Theatre’s activities and finances to the Board of Directors;
- To develop and implement the annual artistic programme with a curatorial vision appropriate for the people of Greater Saint John;
- To develop the annual operating budget of approximately $2 million dollars, the capital budget and the longer-term business plans and to manage within these plans;
- To establish rental rates, procedures and contracts for the effective use, operation and administration of Imperial Theatre;
- To develop and implement marketing plans for Imperial Theatre itself and to assist renters in promoting their productions, in order to establish Imperial Theatre as the predominant location for the performing arts in greater Saint John and south-western New Brunswick;
- To assist the Board of Directors in fundraising efforts as required;
- To manage/produce a number of Imperial-sponsored productions;
- To liaise with other performing arts facilities and managers, as well as the community at large, and to enhance the profile and utilization of Imperial Theatre;
- To seek out fundraising opportunities including, but not limited to, grant applications and government funding.
- To develop and implement ancillary business lines to complement current activities; and
- To develop and maintain wide community participation in, and acceptance and appreciation of, the performing arts.
- Possess appropriate educational and/or technical qualifications in the areas of producing theatre or presenting the performing arts;
- Possess significant professional experience in theatre operations and/or venue management;
- Fluency, or willingness to become fluent, in both official languages is considered an asset;
- Flexibility with regard to work schedules (day, evening, week-end);
- Ability to efficiently organize time and manage priorities;
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- Experience in leading a team of employees;
- A team player with a sense of humour.
About Saint John, NB:
Saint John, New Brunswick – Canada’s Original City – was incorporated in 1785 and has grown into a historically-rich and culturally diverse community.
It is centrally located on the southern New Brunswick Coast on the beautiful Bay of Fundy. Spanning 316.31 km2 (or 122.1 sq mi), Saint John is the largest city in New Brunswick with a population of approximately 70,000. Bordering it are the neighbouring bedroom communities of Grand Bay-Westfield, Rothesay, Quispamsis and Hampton which bring the population in the Greater Saint John area close to 130,000.
The city itself is home to an “uptown” core, where historic buildings dot the banks of the St. John River and the Saint John Harbour – the Bay of Fundy is our front door. A city of neighbourhoods, our citizens enjoy a unique quality of life with an abundance of housing options, a thriving arts and cultural community and easy access to a variety of exceptional recreational facilities and green spaces.
- Applications for this position will be accepted until March 10, 2017
- Persons wishing to be considered for this position must submit a cover letter and a resume.
- Applications may be submitted by email to: email@example.com
- Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
- Start date: June, 2017
Assistant Technical Director
Imperial Theatre, Saint John, New Brunswick
Full Time – salary
Daytime/Evening/Weekends (Variable Hours)
Imperial Theatre is one of Atlantic Canada’s busiest venues for live performance. Our employees enjoy working in a fast paced, casual, and exciting environment.
In collaboration with the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director provides organizational support to the local and touring crews.
Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
Assist Technical Director with advancement of upcoming performances
Organizing and supervise staff on show days
Sub in for lighting, sound or fly positions when needed
Assist with load-ins and tech process for shows
Acting as the liaison between Administration, Front of House and Technical Department during show conditions
Troubleshoot any issues that may arise during a performance
Organize and co-ordinate technical maintenance days, and assist in any work that takes place
Attend Department Head meetings or any others committee meetings requested by TD or administration and complete tasks/projects that may result
Successful candidates will have:
Previous experience with live performance/theatre
Experience in motivating and supervising staff
Excellent communication skills and ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations
People skills: persuasiveness, patience, tact and the ability to deal with ‘artistic temperaments’
Ability to cope with long hours and ever changing schedule
A valid driver’s license is an asset
Live sound experience is an asset
Theatre lighting experience is an asset
How to apply:
More information can be found on our website www.imperialtheatre.nb.ca. To find technical information follow the ‘Rentals’ link.
Please apply in confidence by email to:
Please include Pick Me for ATD in subject line.
We thank all who express interest in this position, but only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Like and Follow us for updates on job opportunities!